On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 15:52, erik quanstrom<quans...@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> > My list was only there to try and prove the point that Russ has
>> > made -- pick a most common format and stick with it. Convert
>> > everything else into it.
>> By this logic, I need to have my application to convert CDROM-XA ADPCM
>> audio from a device into PCM just to talk to an interface, which in turn
>> must convert it back into ADPCM to play it back because the DMA
>> transfers to the audio hardware buffer require ADPCM.
>
> the problem with supporting everything the hardware will
> do is that it's quite expensive in terms of development time.
> and that is the scarce resource that needs to be optimized.
>
> it also will make the interfaces much bulkier because you have
> to make accomidations for the quirks of n formats.
>
> you're right, there is a cost.  simple is expensive.

So spend time figuring out the best interface, write what you need,
add as you find more you need, refactor if it starts to get crufty.
Sometimes you don't get the interface right the first time. That's
fine! You can refactor later. It's better to write code and play with
it than to get stuck in analysis paralysis.

Maybe we're thinking the same thing, and I misunderstand what you're saying.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary