Benjamin Huntsman wrote:

Anyone remember or still use the Depraz red mouse? I thought I had heard
someone figured out how to convert them to USB...

I've got two of the USBified ones, one attached to my cpu server and one moving between an old iBook and a few other Plan 9 machines. i still really like the feel in my hand and the resistance on the buttons, although optical is a real step forward.
the little plastic nubs on the bottom could be smoother, too.

these were USBified while i was at the labs; i have no information on the procedure.