> But you can do at least as good as these forms of ID. PKI requires
> knowledge of some sort of passkey. (I just worry about identification
> for people who are not smart enough to pick a good key. Which,
> unfortunately, is also most people.

My understanding is a passkey just needs sufficent entropy in order to be
strong.

This can be a few characters drawn from a larger characterset - your password
must
be no more than 16 chars and must contain upper and lower case numbers and
punctuation.

Alternatively it could be a long string made up of a restricted character set -
your
pass phrase can consist of any text characters but must not contain long
repitations
and be of at least 200 characters long (say).

Thus a passphrase may be a quote from your favorite movie, a lyric or the like.
This
can then be hashed into a higher entropy string (is this statement true?) used
for
authentication.

I don't understand why modern security systems have an upper limit on
passphrase length.

(waits for people who know better to tell him he is dumb).

-Steve