i've always used an ancient version of a2ps for this,
ported to plan 9 by fors...@terzerima.net. this does almost
everything i want (in particular two-column landscape mode)
with the exception that it doesn't
grok utf-8. i'm sure charles will send you a copy
if you wish.

the current gnu version is likely to be a little harder
to port :-)