> this gives me /dev/sdC0/^(fossil arenas isect) all many times

so it could be atime access.  try halting all the programs
previously listed and seeing if that doesn't stop disk
activity.

> where do you run this so that you obtain the following? My 'g', as far
> as I know, doesn't walk through directories... (???)

contrib quanstro/g.  the idea was shamelessly stolen from russ,
with the additional twist that directories passed as arguments
are recursively searched.  thus "g pattern" in /sys/src/cmd searches
only single-file commands; while "g pattern ." searches all commands.