I don't write in fortran, but I certainly link to libraries written
in it.  It is a truly awful language in any of its incarnations, but
sometimes the library you need is in fortran.  Fortunately it's
not to hard to link to from C once you understand its calling
conventions and array ordering.

--
John Stalker
School of Mathematics