On Wednesday 23 of February 2011 18:09:42 Russ Cox wrote:
> > I'm unsure if this conversation is about Plan 9 or plan9port, but in
> > any case I've used Local for lots of other things on Plan 9,
> > particularly name space manipulations.  There, I don't understand why
> > it needs restrictions.
> >
> > Or are you just saying that on plan9port you need to do magic so you
> > might as well catalog the tricks?  In that case, I understand.
>
> Yes, the idea is that on plan9port you might change
> the implementation of Local to pick off var=value
> and cd path and run those internally.  It could still
> shell out for other commands like Local echo $foo.

How about reading /proc/$pid/environ (where $pid is the shell spawned for
command execution) before the $pid exits and transfering all the environment
variables back to the Acme's own environment?

I'm not sure, but I think that /proc/$pid/environ should be accessible for
Acme after exit() by the $pid, but before Acme's waitpid($pid, ...) completes.

--
dexen deVries

> how does a C compiler get to be that big? what is all that code doing?

iterators, string objects, and a full set of C macros that ensure
boundary conditions and improve interfaces.

ron minnich, in response to Charles Forsyth

http://9fans.net/archive/2011/02/90