In article <banlktinveropxqtob3objhywtngu1xq...@mail.gmail.com>,
Jacob Todd <jaketodd...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > it's true, but at least i haven't got to run either Windows or MacOS.
>> > the underlying problem is that the things we might simply import (mainly
>> > browser) can't simply be imported. it's not just us: you might have
>> > noticed that Google's Picasaweb runs under Linux by including a copy of
>> > Wine as part of its iceberg. also google in any alternative-os list you
>> > like for a discussion of the hopelessness of ./configure
>>
>Afaik, google has been distributing picasa with wine for years, it doesn't
>act like an intermediate solution, it seems told be their solution.
>
>> Icebergs are justified when used as a temporary stop-gap until a native
>> solution is devised and implemented.  Thus, a webkit environment ("AWE")
>> seems like a pretty decent compromise until Plan 9 is finally able to
>> treat the wild wild web like a first-class citizen.
>
>Seeing that plan 9 doesn't have a c++ compiler, i doubt it will ever be
>ported.

Let's assume that's so and will always be so.  Here, we're always
"switching" between mostly MacOS and Windows (used to be LINUX
and Windows).  It's annoying, and yes it often means icebergs,
but we find we'd rather have/take them than nothing, even in the face
of it "being imperfect" or less optimal compromises.  And often,
it's even the thing that makes sense, since, it might just mean
morphing an iceberg (or whatever it is) to another iceberg
(or whatever it is).
--
Greg Comeau / 4.3.10.1 with C++0xisms now in beta!
Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==>     http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout