On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:21 AM, ron minnich <rminn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 8:05 PM, David Leimbach <leim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Isn't p9p POSIX enough?  Confused I am, but wasn't that the point of p9p?
>>

> p9p gives you a runtime environment just like Plan 9s. From the point
> of view of a programmer you can even pretend you're not in a POSIX
> world.It's wonderful but there are times when people want the
> functionality (e.g. venti server) but not using p9p libraries, but
> POSIX libraries.
>
> We hit that issue a lot in the early days of xcpu. The first few
> versions were very much p9p code. Users complained about the need for
> the extra libraries and unfamiliar programming environment. Later
> versions of xcpu were all POSIX, no p9p at all.
>
> Hope I said that right.

I don't know if its still the case, but when I was playing with venti
a few years ago it had problems with chunks of memory > 2G.  I was
trying to run p9p venti on a sever with 64GB of RAM but could only use
a fraction of that for the venti caches.  Now that may have been more
of a venti problem than a p9p problem, sadly I didn't have the time to
track it down.

          -eric