On Thursday 11 of August 2011 18:15:09 ron minnich wrote:
> Could we make little venti files and finally try to build an SCM using
> these files?

Venti would make a great backend for Git. I believe Git's commit and tree
format are simple enough to be re-implemented, if porting proves to be too
bothersome.

either the whole .git/ directory would be held in venti, or just the
.git/objects/ -- the storage.

----

on the other hand, Git has that interesting feature that a bunch of recent
commits is held in loose files, while older commits are re-packed into space-
efficient format using deltas.

was similar strategy ever considered for Venti?  as in, to keep fresh data in
present-day format, but migrate older data into denser format?

--
dexen deVries

For example, if the first thing in the file is:
   <?kzy irefvba="1.0" rapbqvat="ebg13"?>
an XML parser will recognize that the document is stored in the traditional
ROT13 encoding.

(( Joe English, http://www.flightlab.com/~joe/sgml/faq-not.txt ))