> issuing multiple outstanding
> messages is how protocols like aoe, pcie, etc. get speed.  writes are posted.
>
> the question for me is how does one make this easy and natural.  one way
> is to allow the mnt driver to issue multiple concurrent reads or writes for
> the same i/o.  another would be to use a system call ring to allow programs
> to have an arbitrary number of outstanding system calls.

The latter is the "windowing" feature that I seem to recall was first
introduced in HDLC or thereabouts (I'm no academic, I discovered this
feature many years after its invention).  But in those days
multithreading wasn't an option, maybe now it is possible to
consolidate both approaches into a single concept?  Both resemble
Inferno (Acme?) channels to me.

++L