What I do is to consider the macs as volatile.
Very much like "firmware".
All the stuff I care about is in our main file server.
I might either use my files using the octopus or just cache them in the local
disk of the mac when I need that.

To recover such "firmware", yes, I use an external disk and time machine,
which is what the mac seems to like.