On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Yaroslav <yari...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/1/12 John Floren <j...@jfloren.net>:
>> but I missed the simplicity and
>> convenience of having just one nickname on IRC at all times
>
> why not to use their nickserv extentions for this purpose,
> and a startup script to deal with connection and authentication to
> select servers and channels?

The problem is that I typically have an IRC client running on my
desktop, and on my laptop in the living room, and sometimes on my
phone, and maybe open up a web client if I need to get on a technical
channel at work. This beats having john, john|laptop, john|phone,
john|work.

Plus, when I'm bored on the road or whatever, this allows me to open
up my Android IRC client, connect, and get the last hour's backlog so
I know what's going on.

Nickserv prevents other people from stealing your nickname. An IRC
bouncer allows you to maintain one continual presence online; I've set
up Miau to authenticate with Nickserv at startup.

John