The author of gawk is interested in getting the changes needed to compile on Plan9 upstream. The port [1] has been slightly updated again and the Hg repository will be updated with the last changes as soon as I got time (main.c now vanilla).

Since I most likely will have to "backport" my (rather limited) changes to a complete source distribution since my own repo has lots of un-needed stuff (m4, po directories etc) deleted which would show up on a diff, I wanted to take the opportunity to ask the list what the best organization of a Plan9 port would be when sent upstream.

Should I make an effort to make the (mkmk-generated) mkfiles explicitly $objtype-independent or stay i386 since that is the only platform I have tested on?

How would the addition of mkfiles and rc-files to the source distribution be as un-intrusive as possible? One possiblility might be to have a plan9 directory like in perl, where the mkfiles are located. Other ideas?

[1] http://ports2plan9.googlecode.com/files/gawk-4.0.0b.pkg.tbz