On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM, erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> folks don't write code until they want it. until now, nobody has cared
>> enough about cameras or scanners or printers (though i thought ethernet
>> connected printers work more or less (but i've never printed anything))
>> to do anything. now you care, maybe you'll write them. the beauty of plan
>> 9 is that it's easy to write drivers if you have decent documentation.
>> which you will for at least some of the devices you listed.
>>
>> or maybe some common user-oriented device support like this would make a
>> good Google Summer of Code project?
>
> you'd do much better in gsoc if you limited your scope.
>
> - erik

I'd also like to recommend that projects take place outside the kernel
when possible. It's a lot easier to do things in userland on a single
Plan 9 box (or VM), while I've found that kernel work is best done
with at least a CPU server, a "victim" PC with serial output so we can
catch crash messages, and then another box where you can sit to
actually write code--a much more complex thing for a student with no
hardware budget to set up!

John