On 25/04/2012, erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> I just lately installed Plan 9, but the stock system is built for
>> 32-bit x86, and I have an amd64 computer.
>
> the stock system will work find for you.

Assume s/find/fine/.

32-bit is not fine.

Four billion is not enough.

>> I found this diff: http://9legacy.org/9legacy/patch/nix.diff
>> which seems to have all needed system libraries, and its own kernel,
>> but the kernel seems to lack basic functionality, such as graphics and
>> mouse, and I can't find the local bootloader for it — the stock
>
> unfortunately, it can't be run easily on a terminal yet due to the lack
> of graphics, as you note.
>
> /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/root/sys/src/boot/pc-e820 will boot amd64
> and pc kernels.

Ah, thanks.

> the fact that the amd64 port is immature doesn't mean that the
> system isn't portable.  it may mean that x86 is a complicated place
> to work.  :-)

The majority charge carrier in an x86 chip is the moron, not the electron.
I mean to get a Loongson system, when one such is available and not
memory-crippled. I'd just have to port Plan 9 again, to MIPS...

Cheers,
strake