On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM, erik quanstrom <quans...@labs.coraid.com>wrote:

> > Yes, which makes one wonder about type systems in programming languages
> and
> > if they're any better than documented conventions of I/O.  (i think they
> > may not be, but they serve some documentation purposes all their own)
>
> the unix model is that files are typeless.  or at most the linker refuses
> to read
> files it can't read.  before unix, oses typically had file types
> enforced by the operating system.
>
> while the bell labs incination to be typeless has worked very well for
> files,
> it has turned out that you really want types for programming languages.
>
> i haven't seen any evidence that strongly typed files are a good idea.
>  but maybe
> others have?

I can tell you that the "Big Data Analytics" explosion that's been going on
that is creating lots of jobs for data scientists, has an awful lot to do
with the fact that files on a filesystem are unstructured or "untyped"
(without a schema).

On systems like iOS, applications don't expose a file system to the end
user but instead apps that work with PDFs can be used to forward those
documents to other applications that understand PDFs.  This corresponds
more to "data types".  The type-less mode is more general, and the typed
mode seems easier to reason about.

In fact, the people who will eat the lunch of these people wrangling
unstructured data, are the ones that figure out how to structure the data
in a way that it's not a problem anymore.

Dave