> How much more so then should we oppose
> standards which benefit nobody while requiring a lot of work to no
> purpose?

You're getting lost.  The MIME standard (RFC 1341, June 1992) is what
you started criticising and you're overlooking (a) that a phenomenal
amount of effort went into establishing that standard; (b) that it has
been of great service for many years; (c) that mailers like Outlook
that continue to take liberties with the MIME headers have facilitated
in no minor manner the ditribution of Trojan Horses and (d) no one has
yet found it necessary or advisable to replace the MIME standard with
a better one.

I grant that back in 1992 one could not have foreseen all the
possibilities that MIME ought to have addressed, but all things
considered, I think the result was little short of miraculous.  That
you can criticise one aspect that in fact is not even at fault seems a
bit facitious, at least to me.  By all means propose an anlternative,
but don't expect to find too many followers when you do.

++L