if i understand correctly, this is one way it could be done (i think):

* built a graph representing the structure
* create a file server that given a graph and a root node, synthesizes
a hierarchy,  AND
* on every walk to a node launches a copy of itself with the same
graph but the new node as the root AND
* mounts the newly launched copy of it self under that node (like exportfs).

-Skip