I had this problem several years ago
with an adsl router (9fans archive may know about this). There was a bug in my
adsl router (which seems to be common, I have seen it since more than once)
that dropped ethernet frames of size greater than 1480 (someone counted a
header twice probably). Linux adapts the
mss to 1480 if there are problems so it works in this case.

G.