On Wednesday 29 of August 2012 16:10:39 Charles Forsyth wrote:
> Changing my default shell from bash to rc caused even terminal windows (let
> alone 9term ones) to appear almost instantly on Ubuntu
> (9term windows appear instantly on the click).

interactive bash reads, among others, ~/.bash_history.

also some of /usr/share/locale/{$LANG,$LC_CTYPE,$LC_NUMERIC,$LC_TIME,
$LC_COLLATE,$LC_MONETARY,$LC_MESSAGES,$LC_PAPER,$LC_NAME,$LC_ADDRESS,
$LC_TELEPHONE,$LC_MEASUREMENT,$LC_IDENTIFICATION,$LC_ALL}/*

also /etc/nsswitch.conf -- yep, bash has built-in TCP connection support.

--
dexen deVries

How often I found where I should be going
only by setting out for somewhere else.
                -- R. Buckminster Fuller