On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 15:54:11 +0100
Hugo Rivera <uai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > the fact that there are bigger problems in the world does not imply
> > that we ourselves are in a position to do anything about them.  heck,
> > i see problems very close to home that i can't do much about.  i can
> > try to make arguments, but very often there is no direct influence that
> > can be made.  and being right is no comfort.
> >

> Of course, it depends on the problem considered. But I think the big
> problems in the world have little to do with programming languages,
> particularly c++, which is the topic at hand.

As far as I can see, a lot of the problems in the world are caused by
people preferring to believe in things which seem clever but which turn
out to be meaningless or actually wrong on deeper inspection. C++ seems
to be much the same way, which doesn't make it part of the problem but
does mean that if you teach it as a good and normal thing you are
encouraging bad reasoning practices similar to those which cause the
serious problems.

Of course, "teaching it as a good and normal thing" is a far cry from
responding to the OP's question, I don't mean to insult anyone who was
doing that.

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 12:34:16 +0100
hiro <23h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> C++ and java feel highly inconsistent and are full of stupid busywork
> and strange programming philosophies that you have to "learn" about,
> but teach you nothing.

I quoted this because it's so similar to my own thoughts on the matter,
but also is it just me or does anyone else think "strange [...]
philosophies that you have to "learn" about, but teach you nothing,"
sounds just like it's referring to some religion?

--
Developing the austere intellectual discipline of keeping things
sufficiently simple is in this environment a formidable challenge,