> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM, John Floren <j...@jfloren.net> wrote:
> > What I think people are trying to say is that this doesn't really make
> > a lot of sense. The AMD64 system doesn't have any installer work done
> > for it at all--I think it's not far off, but to the best of my
> > knowledge nobody has built a CDROM that boots the 64-bit kernel and

the 9atom cd boots to 32-bits, but the 64-bit kernels are right there.
it should be no problem if you have a 64-bit capable machine to boot
into a 64-bit kernel after compiling /sys/src.

the reason i don't boot directly to 64-bits is because that's probablly
a lot of busy work without a lot of benefit.  also all 64-bit intel run
32-bit kernels, but not vice-versa.

> I did boot nix with the new boot loaders from a CD image, so that part
> worked. Erik is using a different boot loader I think, but it probably works
> too
> (it boot in 32 bit mode after all...).

yes, iplpxe which really is a slight reworking of cinap's work.
while it starts in 16-bit mode, it does all of its work in  32-bit
segmented mode.  (that is, paging is off.)

it has the ability to boot 64-bit, pae or po32b.  (plain old 32-bit.)
the main requirement to boot 64-bit it to accept S_MAGIC.

(i am still using ye olde 9load-e820 on the cd.  this is laziness.
it can also boot a 64-bit kernel, though.  but it does not have
boot menus.)

> After booting the kernel, as Erik says, it should not be too hard.
>
> For ARM Richard Miller is doing an excellent work with his prerrolled
> Plan 9 images for the raspberry pi, so that is probably the way to go.

9atom2 includes rpi.  install on a 32- or 64-bit intel, and
        cd /sys/src;
        objtype=arm mk install