On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 11:19:38AM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:

> the plan 9 model is that all text is utf-8, with the exception of
> internal encodings which may be Runes.
>
> is your proposal
> - to change programs that take regular expressions to be exceptions to
> the plan 9 text model, or

No: to have a libregexp being agnostic about any encoding. The tools can
stay, for user, the same, simply libregexp would not be "text" based but
octets based.

> - to change the plan 9 text model

Neither. The "text" model is a user interface. My question is simply how
is it difficult to have an alternative, special purpose, user interface,
that do not have the UTF-8 filter for input from and output to the user
interface.

                      http://www.kergis.com/