On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 12:26:47PM -0400, a...@9srv.net wrote:
> ...and how does that help me read a pre-existing PDF document?

Reading a pre-existing PDF document does not need ghostscript. PDF
is supposed to be in the dvi class, and predigested rendering. So it
should be easier to "port" a PDF library... except that the existing
ones are C++ and there is an inflation of "interactive" features (that
keep Adobe cutting edge even if the language is documented and royalty
free).

So, reading existing things is one thing. Producing things that we are
unable to render is another one. You may have the obligation of the
former; not the latter. This the sense of my comment.
                      http://www.kergis.com/