> 1) implement the functionality inside acme itself
> (e.g. with a command-line flag)
>
> 2) implement a way of triggering a dump through
> the fs interface (e.g. by adding a root-level ctl
> file and allowing a "dump" message).
>
> The second is probably less work, but is harder
> to get just right (you'd probably want a way to
> check if anything has changed too, to avoid
> needless churn when acme's sitting idle).

if acme simply set a bit on dump "cleansincedump" and cleared that
bit on any edit, then a conditional dump if not clean would prevent
any churn, and seems like it could be pretty straightforward.
it would also solve one of my pet peeves—having to
confirm quitting acme right after a dump because there are
"changed files".