> So, I think you are saying, that for pieces in a mkfile that take less than
> 1s to build it is possible for them to be build again, unnecessarily, when
> mk is run again.  This is normal and just the way it is.  Is that correct?

to be more explicit.  if a is built from b and mtime(a) <= mtime(b), then
mk could fail to rebuild a when it needs to.  for correctness, mk must use <=
not <.

in some cases, it is possible that this will never converge and adding a
sleep 1 to the rule helps things converge.  certainly if the point is to save
time, then one need not bother.  on the other hand, if the point is to
make mk precise, that goal can be accomplished with a little effort.