> also, quite a bit that is unaccountably still in other kernels ("because
> Unix did it exactly that way in the 1970s on a PDP-11")

I think that "unaccountably" is a bit harsh. There is A  L O T of old
Unix software that still just compiles and works out of the box on
Linux, Solaris, *BSD.  There is a lot of value to that, when what you
care about is getting your work done (KTBR - Keep The Business Running).

I well understand that this community is less concerned about that,
but this community should also be open minded enough to understand
those kinds of concerns.

Arnold