On Wed Nov  5 13:20:02 EST 2014, sdao...@yandex.com wrote:
> Anthony Sorace <a...@9srv.net> wrote:
>  |> I've been looking through the documentation and
>  |> the 9fans archive but I can't get a clear answer on
>  |> what to replace localhost.localdomain with.
>  |If the recipient's mail server is being strict (but within
>  |the bounds of the RFCs), that name is expected to be
>  |the real, externally-resolvable DNS name of the
>  |system you're sending from. The RFCs used to be more
>  |lax on that point, and some servers still are, but you
>  |shouldn't assume you'll be able to send to arbitrary
>  |endpoints unless you satisfy that.
>
> gmail.com shouldn't care at all, so it must be his own SMTP server.
> (All i know in respect to this is Yandex.(ru|com), which requires
> that the hostname in the SMTP FROM:<> command _is_ a Yandex
> address, i.e., _no mismatch_ with _who_ you claim to be, which is

that's not what anthony claimed.  he said that if you say
        HELO example.com
that the following must be true
(a) dns return an a record for the query example.com, and
(b) the ip returned must have a ptr record pointing to example.com
(this is less enforced these days due to the difficulty of maintaining pointer
records.)

i think this is compatible with what you're saying.  this doesn't make
sense to me.  i don't do this:

> why i had to invent a *smtp-hostname* variable for the mailer
> i maintain in order to address the SMTP FROM:<> content directly:

perhaps you're conflating the envelope with the message?