On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 5:22 AM, <lu...@proxima.alt.za> wrote:

> 40 years on, you'd think someone would deal with it.

The point I was trying to make is that it was realised early on (eg, when
time-sharing at universities)
that a shared /tmp was a problem. Hacks such as +s or special schemes for
allocating files don't really
address the problem.

Now look at that number: 40. Four decades. During that time there has been
any amount of foolish
crud added to this or that kernel, distribution ,graphics subsystem,
standards, ... but instead of fixing
it after 4 0 years, we get notes explaining that it's the application's
business, in this case the shell,
or perhaps the underlying library, to try to address "security issues"
instead of fixing it, once for all.
After 40 years (more than a generation).