Interestingly enough the problem disappears with a mono font.

I suspect that troff is inserting such tabs instead of spaces when it
thinks they are the same. Indeed libframe (as far I could understand from
the manual and the sources) properly handles such variable width fonts.

Looks like I've to inform troff about the glyphs sizes... but how?

Giacomo