On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 12:17:30PM +0000, Richard Miller wrote:
> > It seems that Plan9 is not at fault per se
>
> I think it probably is.  Here's another data point (same ADSL connection) -

The delicate point is: is plan9 at fault or it is the fact that it is
advertised as Plan9 that is the source of this throttling down.

Because I have tested retrieving a 10MB file from another server, under
plan9 (http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/base.zip) and I have good
results on par with what I have under NetBSD (same node; dualboot).

So I think the ethernet layer (the rtl8169) is not at fault. Perhaps
another IP layer is at fault (bad negociation under some circonstances
leading to very small packets). Or the server is throttling down
the connection, whether explicitely because it is Plan9/hget (used
by some? as bittorrent utility, or the string used etc.) or simply
because there is a rule that everything not recognized/authorized
(ie, chrome, mozilla, wget, ftp, lftp) is considered a robot, and
is throttled down...

                     http://www.kergis.com/
                     http://www.arts-po.fr/