I think shutdown(sock, SHU_RD) is mainly to let the sender generate an SIGPIPE
signal in case it has sent data on a closed direction of a connection. But I
think this is only for completeness. Almost always you’d use close(sock). At
least I have not found a usecase when I’d want to shutdown the read-end but
continue sending on write-end.