You can use a cross platform file system event notification package like
fsnotify/fsnotify or rjeczalik/notify, both on github. Instead of HEAD, may be
just watch .git/index and when it changes, do git ls-files and see what
changed. This will also catch local git add etc. though this probably doesn't
matter.