> On 31 Dec 2017, at 21:05, hiro <23h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I started porting a 9p library and writing an fs for esp8266 using
>> espressif sdk, but stopped once I found out tls1.2 isn't supported (not
>> fixable; bug in firmware).
>> I think esp32 is a better choice, but then, why not use rpi-zero or other
>> ARM, MIPS devices. Arguments for esp32 for power budget reasons might be
>> exaggerated a little (see
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDpuBJYFJ7Y&t=131s
>> )
>> there is also proprietary firmware involved.
>>
>> In my opinion, esp8266 should be categorized as an "attractive nuisance".
>
> what about esp8266's power usage? is *that* lower? why does it take 4!
> seconds to send data?!

I honestly don’t see it as slow, or as a nuisance, but then again I have
several around the house, some incorporated into commercial products like the
Sonoff S20 outlets, which I control over MQTT with open source firmware.

Where it relates to power consumption, I have sensors running in low-power mode