I have been intending to try out the new raspberry pi updates too for
9front, but haven't had the chance yet.

A couple of years ago I was building the sd-card images for my raspberry
pis by using qemu to bring up an x86 install of 9front and doing a
cross-compile within to build the new disk image. Here's a script that I
used after the manual 9front install to do that plus a bunch of other
things that you probably don't care about. It does need significant cleanup
and updates.

https://github.com/sirnewton01/rpi-9front/blob/master/postsetup.rc

I'm hoping that it is at least some help to others.

Chris