> In the present case, this appears to be a compiler bug. The aforementioned
> reference to n1548 sec 6.7.9 para 10 is incorrect in that there _is_ an
> explicit initializer here. The relevant text in the standard is sec 6.7.9
> pp 16-21, which specifies that in the event that an explicit initializer
> does not completely cover (in a topological sense) the thing it is
> initializing, then the elements not covered shall be initialized as if they
> had _static_ storage duration; that is, they should be zeroed.

I didn't look at the code closely enough earlier, but remembered something
from years ago this morning. It's a bug. It isn't platform specific.
There is an existing fix in 9front (I think it came from there) but it's
horrible. Still, better a horrible fix than buggy code, so I'll apply it to
the 9legacy version as well.