> If one is running a mail server and has it inside their firewall and if
> using one IP then t has to use NAT. Couldn't one presumeably use the setup
> above and run a mail server on Plan 9 and bypass having to use NAT?  And
> also do the same thing for a web server?

Yes, I do that. The example you quoted creates two independent IP stacks,
starting with the default '#I0' IP stack on ether0, then adding a new IP
stack '#I1' connected to ether1 (#l1).
There is a separate TCP/IP, UDP/IP, ICMP etc for each stack. I also import
/net from a Linux server via Inferno (on Linux) so I can send mail from a
non-RBLd address.
You can create several types of virtual interface ("medium") on the IP
stack, connected to a user-mode process. See pkg and netdev in ip(3)

  I still have a router with NAT though for non-Plan 9 machines. I never
got round to writing a NAT for Plan 9 (which could work in user mode).