>    - The sam tutorial speaks of sam being "downloaded". (*A tutorial for
>    the sam language*.) I am not exactly sure what "downloaded" means in
>    this context.
>
> sam originally ran on a terminal that had its own little operating system
and applications could be downloaded into each terminal window.
sam ran in two parts: sam on the host and samterm (downloaded) on the
terminal. they communicate using a unique protocol.
Here's a video about the original Blit terminal and how that works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emh22gT5e9k
(The original editor on the Blit was jim.)
sam is described in detail in a paper:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2F9p.io%2Fsys%2Fdoc%2Fsam%2Fsam.pdf