On 5/30/22, Bakul Shah <ba...@iitbombay.org> wrote:
> On May 29, 2022, at 10:01 PM, o...@eigenstate.org wrote:
>>
>> the challenge is that 9p is stateful, so all servers must
>> replay the same messages in the same order; this means that
>> if one of the replicas fails or returns a result that is not
>> the same as the other, the front falls off.
>>
>> this means mirroring messages naïvely reduces reliability
>> and performance, rather than increasing it.
>
> I was not thinking of mirroring.
>
> I was thinking of ckustered or distributed systems like
> CephFS, IPFS, GlusterFS etc but thinking a cleaner &
> simpler design might be possible. But it is quite possible
> my brainstorm/pipedream is not realistic!

Besides the trivial applications (eg. mirroring with an out-of-band
consolidation mechanism), I've been thinking more along these lines as
well. Sure, for these applications multiplying would be just a basic
function, and other, more interesting 9p servers would manipulate the
namespaces of the different 9p servers, serving different parts of the
"goal-namespace".
A 9p multiplier would be just the first lego brick.