for performance testing why not copy from ramfs on one machine to ramfs on
another?

the suggestion from a 9con passim was to have fossil/cwfs/hjfs etc add a Qid
type flag to files indicating they are from backing store (QTSTABLE ?)and thus
may be copied in parallel. devices and synthetic would not normally have this
flag forcing the read or write be sequential.

you could even make the file server set this flag only on files that have not
changed in X days, and thus the contents are more likely to be stable (idea
from the SRC package from DEC)

perhaps i missed something but i always thought the idea had legs.

-Steve