On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 01:54:27AM -0400, ibrahim via 9fans wrote:

> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Happily.  Here's the original revision of /lib/legal/NOTICE:
http://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front/file/944787349e93/lib/legal/NOTICE

> The Plan 9 software is provided under the terms of the
> Lucent Public License, Version 1.02, reproduced in the
> file /lib/legal/lpl, with the following notable exceptions:

a later revision, specifying the license for 9front-originated code, and
adding exceptions for Python and Mercurial:

http://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front/file/84ba3046886d/lib/legal/NOTICE
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs is provided under the terms of the Lucent Public
> License,
> Version 1.02, reproduced in the file /lib/legal/lpl.
>
> Any additions or changes (as recorded in Mercurial history) made by 9front
> are provided
> under the terms of the MIT License, reproduced in the file /lib/legal/mit,
> unless
> otherwise indicated.
>
> The following exceptions apply:

When the Labs released the code under GPL, it was still *also* available
under the Lucent Public License 1.02.  The software was, at that point,
dual-licensed under LPL and GPL.  We didn't see any benefit from
acknowledging this, since the previous license was still valid and
compatible with our needs.

Once the MIT-licensed release was made available, we rebased on that:

http://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front/file/87d8e72ffb5c/lib/legal/NOTICE
> Plan 9 from Bell Labs is provided under the terms of the MIT license,
> reproduced in the file /lib/legal/mit.
>
> Any additions or changes (as recorded in Mercurial history) made by 9front
> are also provided under the same MIT License, unless otherwise
> indicated.

The only material change since then was moving from Mercurial to Git as
source control, at which time we deleted Python and Mercurial from the
tree, and removed the relevant clauses from /lib/legal/NOTICE.

Third-party software not mentioned in the NOTICE file, but covered by
non-MIT licenses, has always explicitly been identified as having their
special cases addressed in-tree:

> Other, less notable exceptions are marked in the file tree with
> COPYING, COPYRIGHT, or LICENSE files.

That practice predates 9front.

Hope this clears up the history.

khm