On 1/18/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
alexandr babic wrote:
> i think 9fans should write plan9 native programs not trying other waste
> to import.

right, but I was not trying to do that.

I'm trying to see
- if I can get L4KA to build (fails)

Never had a problem here... I even cross compile from Mac OS X.  Just gotta use the right version of the compiler.  [Stupid, I agree, and circle gets the square]

See this for some potential hints... Of course it's PPC specific but it may help you figure out why stuff won't build in general.

http://l4ka.org/projects/pistachio/powerpc/ppc-build.txt

Been a while since I've tried this myself but I was very successful back then [ 1.5 years ago?]

- get L4KA to boot linux (predicated on previous step)

I think I only ever ran a Live CD of this... but it worked great with the Dresden Realtime OPerating Systems demo floppy or CD or whatever it was...  They have a really weird windowing system for launching Debian on L4 instances.... this was quite a bit before Xen mind you and they were doing the same things but on a microkernel that had less suck than mach.

- run Plan 9 as an L4KA guest (predicated on previous step)

I'd try that :)  The weird thing is you can load l4-linux and then write an OS personality in another address space and use the L4 messaging to use linux as something of a driver repository.  There are even some performance measurments of the impact of this, which is a ton better than trying to write drivers in userspace with mach.  I wouldn't try 10Gbit ethernet that way but for disks and some other devices this seems to work kind of well.

Abstract here:
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/EZAG/old/ws2004/abstracts/abstract_20041012.xml

Sometimes I wish I could just get paid to play with esoteric weird OS junk all day.

  so far, failure all around.

"he who lives by the gcc hack, dies by the gcc hack" (even on linux)

yep, I'm at least glad that I see more and more -std=c99 in the FreeBSD build system.  Less and less gcc-isms is a big plus, even if I don't care for C99 so much [which could be worse].

ron