>1. how stable is the keying ? sha-1 has only 160 bits, while
>   data blocks may be up to 56k long. so, the mapping is only
>   unique into one direction (not one-to-one). how can we be
>   *really sure*, that - even on very large storages (TB or
>   even PB) - data to each key is alway (one-to-one) unique ?

on a write, the computer will tell you if you ought to have bought
that lottery ticket and stayed out of the rain:

        u = lookuplump(score, type);
        if(u->data != nil){
                if(packetcmp(p, u->data) != 0){
                        if(scorecmp(u->score, score) != 0)
                                seterr(EStrange, "lookuplump returned bad score
%V not %V", u->score, score);
                        else if(scorecmp(u->score, nscore) != 0)
                                seterr(EStrange, "lookuplump returned bad data
%V not %V", nscore, u->score);
                        else
                                seterr(EStrange, "score collision %V", score);