First make sure the boot order in BIOS setup is set to look at your
original hard drive first.  In some BIOS you can even eliminate a drive
from the bootup list all together.

Have you looked at the data drive in Win8's Disk Management utility?  On
the Apps screen open Run, then type DISKMGMT.MSC.  Take a look at the
fixed disks. Your original boot disk will likely be labelled Disk 0, and
your data disk maybe Disk 1.  Does your data disk show more than 1
partition?  If so, try deleting any extra partitions - you can likely
combine the extra space into the main partition.

Donk

On 6/16/2013 2:35 AM, alcala94109 wrote:
> Information:
>
> XPS8500 purchased 5/1413.
>
> WIN8
>
> 12GB Memory
>

> After buying the computer, transferred my data drive from my previous HP PC
> to this XPS.  The drive is a WDC WD2002FAEX.  It's plugged into SATA port 2
> on the motherboard, did not change any of the existing drive connections for
> OS drive or DVD drive.  No OS or other boot files are installed on this data
> drive.
>
> When I reboot the PC, the system recognizes the data drive as the OS drive,
> and obviously fails.  If I power down the PC, disconnect the power and SATA
> cable from the data drive, and then power up the PC without the data drive
> connected, the system correctly goes to the OS drive and loads the OS.
>
> If I then power down the PC and reconnect the data drive, the system will
> correctly go to the OS drive and load the OS, and recognize the data drive as
> a data drive.  If for any reason I reboot the PC then it again will try to
> load the OS from the data drive.
>
> I have been on the phone with Dell support, they remoted in and everything is
> correctly configured, latest drivers, etc., but are not finding a similar
> issue anywhere in their support logs.  The time they remoted in the system
> showed the data drive correctly  It is still an open ticket with Dell support.
>
> Any thoughts on this?  First time I have encountered this situation, and have
> been able to transfer data HDs between systems before.
>
> Thanks!

> Thank you for using A-1 Computer TechYahoo! Groups Links

Thank you for using A-1 Computer TechYahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: