The following item from the Lagos paper, Vanguard, was seen on the lgpolicy
list. More information on the Edo language is available or linked at
http://www.panafril10n.org/PanAfrLoc/Edo

BNC makes case for Edo language policy

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5417&It
emid=44

Written by Simon Ebegbulem

Tuesday, 25 March 2008

THE Benin National Congress (BNC) a socio-cultural organisation in Edo
State, has urged the state House of Assembly to prevail on the relevant
authorities in the state to implement the Edo language policy in all private
and public schools, so as to save the cultural heritage of the Binis from
extinction

The Congress through a letter addressed to the Speaker of the state House of
Assembly, Mr Zakawanu Garuba, signed by its National President, Mr
Aiyamenkhue Edokpolo, lamented that non-teaching of the  subject as well as
the significance of the cultural heritage such as dancing steps, artifact,
moats, dresses and historical tales has in no small measure denied the
younger generations of the essence of enculturation.

It pointed out that Edo language was listed among the languages to extinct
before the year 2020 by the United National Education, Scientific and
Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) report of last year, saying that since the
emergence of that report, governments and concerned groups across the globe
have been articulating ways to save their heritage from the "sad
prediction".

"As a cultural heritage group, we hold our people the duty to raise the
stake for the safety of our heritage hence our resolve to humbly appeal to
you to ensure that not only is Edo language taught in our schools, it must
be made compulsory for every student of Edo State origin to secure a pass as
a promotional yardstick" it stated.

According to the letter, the "primary aim of this letter is to solicit your
intervention by way of giving effect or life to Edo Language policy which
exists in our primary and post primary school curricula, because it is
laughable and denigrating that our younger generations lack the basic
knowledge both historical and contemporary of our linguistic status and
significance both as a race and a society.

"Edo people particularly those resident abroad have sustained the good
pressure on us to make the humble appeal for your intervention on the
collective behalf of Edo people. We are sure that if a public sitting is
conducted on this issue, the turnout of patriotic Edo people on this issue
will be very re-assuring" it said.

Copyright: In accordance with Title 17, United States Code Section 107, this
material is distributed without profit for research and educational
purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material posted to this list for
purposes that go beyond "fair use," you must obtain permission from the
copyright owner.

Content: The sender does not vouch for the veracity nor the accuracy of the
contents of this message, which are the sole responsibility of the copyright
owner. Also, the sender does not necessarily agree or disagree with any
opinions that are expressed in this message.