I am usually asked to do presentations at fora (where decision-makers are
present). Usually you are asked to make a short speech on topics such as: Why
language policy? What is language policy? etc. This happens at provincial and
local government level in South Africa where decision-makers have to design and
implement language policy (but then do not do it anyhow).

Prof. L.T. du Plessis
Direkteur/Director
Eenheid vir Taalbestuur/Unit for Language Management
Universiteit van die Vrystaat/University of the Free State
Posbus/P.O. Box 339
BLOEMFONTEIN
9300 RSA
Tel:  +27 51-401 2405
Faks/Fax: +27 51-444 5804
E-pos/E-mail: dplesslt....@ufs.ac.za
Web: http://www.uovs.ac.za/etb

>>> On 2009/02/23 at 07:13 PM, <d...@bisharat.net> wrote:

Has anyone done any work producing policy briefs/memos relating to language for
people in government who are in a position to influence language policy and its
implementation?

By policy briefs or policy memos I mean information presented in a succinct way
for an educated audience not specialized in the topic addressed. Commonly these
are used to advocate a position on the topic described. I'm particularly
interested in the form used, purpose or agenda promoted, and evaluations.

I have found few instances on the web. A couple of examples:

http://www.aera.net/uploadedFiles/Journals_and_Publications/Research_Points/RP_Winter04.pdf

http://www.language-policy.org/content/features/EPSL-0509-103-LPRU.pdf (a
61-page document which was described at  as a "policy brief" at
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0509&L=lgpolicy-list&P=6132 )

In other domains, such as ICT policy, briefs are also used. An African example
is:
http://www.apkn.org/areas-of-activity/information-and-communication-technology/ict-policy-briefs-for-mps

While I am referring to the latter  and others, I am still seeking examples
relating to language policy.

Don Osborn
Bisharat.net

University of the Free State: This message and its contents are subject to a
disclaimer.
Please refer to  http://www.ufs.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.

Universiteit van die Vrystaat:
Hierdie boodskap en sy inhoud is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule onderhewig.
Volledige besonderhede is by http://www.ufs.ac.za/vrywaring  beskikbaar.