Title: in love with this
and dreams of glory for ever abandoned, they retraced their steps, and found their pathway homeward far more trying than the rest of their journey had been. Many of them died on the way, and of those who lived, it was said in towns and cities through which they passed, that where in departing they passed in parties and troops, happy and never without the song of cheer, they now returned in silence, barefoot and hungry, and with no band of followers. Day by day they straggled into Colognevictims of a sad delusion. Alas, how bitterly they had paid for their wilful disobedience When asked where they had been, they said they did
that he had strongly influenced his son to leadership that they laid violent hands on him and hanged him in revenge. Meanwhile, during all the weeks while Nicholas and his army were marching southward on their way to Italy, Stephen was still preaching at St. Denys, and his young lieutenants were still gathering recruits for his army from all parts of Francebut at length in late June, all was ready except the last preparations for departure, and Stephen then sent out a command to his forces to gather at Vendome, a city near Cloyes, which was not only one of considerable importance, but from which roads lay in many directions from
their dialects and costumes varied greatly, the youths were bound together by a single hope, led by a common aim, as they marched into Vendome ready to start on their perilous journey. Like the German youths, they were assured that no vessels would be needed to take them across the Mediterranean, for had not Stephen said: Between waters which are to be to us as a wall on the right hand and the left, are we to cross the untrodden bed of the sea and with dry feet will we stand on the distant beach by the walls of Acre or of Tripoli. We bear no weapons and we wear no armour The pathway of other Crusaders may be marked by the stain of blood and the glitter of steel, but our pilgrims robes are our armour, our crosses are our swords and our hymns shall
begged the youths to repent and stay at home where their duty lay, but pleas and cries were all counteracted by applause and encouragement from thoughtless enthusiasts, and after religious exercises in which Gods blessing was asked, and the oriflammes and crosses raised triumphantly, the army formed in line of march, and then with a volume of cheers which drowned the sound of sobs and protests, moved on, out of Vendome under the protection and leadership of Stephen. It was only a few weeks since the
not know, and had only wild confused tales to tell of strange lands and countries, costumes and customs, and many a mothers heart was broken with sorrow that her boy had not survived the journeying. Winter had passed and Spring had come and gone before all the wanderers had returned, all the lost been given up, and for many a year to come, peasants and nobles, with teardimmed eyes told the story of the German s march to the sea, and of the supposed martyrdom of their lost leader, Nicholaswhose father, the afflicted parents whose homes had been desolated by the Crusade, turned on in such a frenzy of bitterness and anger, feeling
other to procure a thread of his clothing, a piece of the trappings of his car, while they who had a single hair of his head felt they had a priceless treasure. It is small der that this shepherd boy, sensitive as he was to impressions, and duped as he was in the belief that he was anointed by God to a holy calling, and then worshipped by an everincreasing tide of followers, should have been affected by the rapid change in his circumstances and surroundings. He was evidently possessed of no slight ability to carry out plans, and had much power over people, and his whole nature was aflame with the emotional credulous piety

Letting us know your name on this page will confirm your removal from our group of friends
PO Box 4668 #85919 New York, NY 10163-4668

Cut out your account from our list by submitting your information here
Randal Nieland _ 607 Washington St Wausau Wi 54403-5440