On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 11:34:41AM +0200, Frank Nordberg wrote:

> I dont want to sidetrack this discussion, but how on earth do you play a
> hornpipe in 3/2 time???
> I know about hornpipes in 4/4 and 2/2 and 12/8, but this one is new for me.

        3/2 hornpipes or "double" hornpipes were popular in the North-West
of England in the 18th century before the more common "step-hop" dotted
type hornpipe came into fashion. They are often have a strange kind of
syncopated rhythm, typically

        A3 A3|A2 A2 A2|

John Offord published a book called John of the Greeny Cheshire Way
containing a load of them. Steve Bliven has transcribed the double
hornpipes from this book into abc to be found at:

http://www.mcn.net/~acflynn/Cheshire.html

        Regards,

        Chris Walshaw
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]