Jack Campin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> One piece of file-context-dependence that I am likely to introduce on my
> site fairly soon is BarFly macros. [...] but there seems to be no
> interest as yet from the Unix camp.  I'd rather get the ABC right first
> and wait for the programmers to catch up.

We don't really have to wait for the programmers to catch up. If I
understand BarFly macros correctly, they're simply bits of text that get
replaced by other bits of text. If we're suitably desperate, writing a
simple preprocessor to do that shouldn't take more than a Perl
interpreter and a rainy afternoon, and it will basically macro-enable
all Unix-based abc tools at the cost of a minor inconvenience. The
programs themselves can be fixed in due course once the idea is firmly
established (and properly documented?).

If someone (Phil?) sends me a detailed description of what BarFly macros
do and how they are defined in BarFly abc files I'd be happy to give it
a try on the next rainy afternoon. (Right now it is sunny outside and
going on 30°C.) As of now I'm not really desperate but it looks like a
fun little project that might be useful to someone. And I'm always on
the lookout for free beer when I'm travelling :^)

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Calm down.  It's only ones and zeros.                               -- Sam Kass